Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How I Workout....Weights, Starting Slow and Building Up and Variety!

So a day off today. Before I start having a very needed "me" day...I wanted to drop in and give some updates.

I realized that although I keep promising workout ideas, I just vaguely cover it and move on so today I think I am going to share my routines. I am working on getting a video or two of me doing the workouts, but not as of yet. I have been doing cardio for about five months now, but weight lifting has only been the last three months. I believe in building up your muscles and not starting to quickly. When I first started all my upper body weights were 10lbs and my legs were 50lbs. I also increase based off of reps. For example I start at 10lbs, 2 sets of 10 and then increase to 3 sets of 10 and then on to 2 sets of 15, 3 sets of 15 and when that feels easy...I increase the weight and start again. I currently am at 20lbs for my upper body at 2 sets of 10. My legs are still at 50lbs, but I do 2 sets of 15.

I do a wide variety of weights, including machines and free weights and calisthenic type workouts (push ups, sit ups, squats, dips). My free weights workouts are bicep curls, bench press, shoulder shrugs and other workouts that I'm not sure the name of but one works my triceps and the other my back muscles. I also do not dedicate one day to legs and another to arms. I split it up each workout. We have four different leg machines, so I do two different ones each time I go to the gym. Everyday I do crunches and try to do some form of cardio. I use to do treadmill every time but realized it was killing my legs on days I ran with my dad and brother so now I switch it up. For example, Saturday I did 13 minutes on the stationary bike and then Sunday I ran 1.5 miles with my dad and brother (almost beat my brother too!) and then yesterday I did 10 minutes on the stationary bike. Today is another run (1.2 miles) and tomorrow I might take my bike out for a spin before work or go relive the elliptical (it use to be my go to cardio until I got back into running). I believe that it is definitely better to switch it up because it feels good and keeps the workouts from being boring. It is also the reason I do not dedicate one day to legs, one to arms (or other variations)...I do a variety each time I go to the gym so that I am never bored.

My home workouts are obviously different. I don't have weights in the traditional form (I really do want to buy some free weights and maybe even a medicine ball or resistance band...maybe Christmas list ideas?), but I make it work. I use my old textbooks that I never sold back and full shampoo and conditioner bottles. I usually do circuit style workouts...a minute of jumping jacks, 50 crunches, 10 squats, 5 push ups and repeat three times. Sometimes I add in dips or a plank or wall sit. Even thought it's not as high intensity as the gym or a 20 minute run, I enjoy doing it because it is different and keeps my body from feeling a routine.

Routine can kill your chances for weight loss eventually, or so in my case. I can always get under 130, usually barely (129)...but then I guess my body gets use to running all the time or whatever...and I stay there and then eventually I go back up. That is why I now add in different types of cardio and keep switching up my workouts. It has really helped my body, my mind and my health.

I'll be back on Friday with Week THREE updates! I will try to get a video or two tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment