Thursday, September 26, 2013

Tired of Chipotle Everything? Sweet and Spicy Mayo!


Here is the awesome creation from the tailgate Saturday! :) I mean, the sandwich itself was pretty simple and based off the tastes of those eating it (for example...we ALL HATE bologna), but it has my yummy sweet and spicy mayo on it! My mom had originally wanted to just be boring and pick up some subs from Subway, but I told her lets just make our own sub, it's cheaper and more variety...plus I got to play with the mayo idea I had been wanting to do!

The sandwich itself is one loaf of Cuban bread, cut in half with pepper jack cheese, swiss cheese, roast beef, salami, turkey and ham. I also cut up tomato and onion slices and lettuce leaves. We had to travel about an hour for the game, so I packed the veggies separately and the mayo was kept in the container (and this also allowed for those eating to put as much or as little as they wanted). The sandwich was not soggy at all and didn't fall apart in travel! Score one for us! :) We got creative with transporting it too. I wanted to pre-cut the sandwich and we came up with placing it back in the plastic it had been wrapped in (this was a two person job...one to hold the sandwich and lift at times and the other to slide the plastic on) and then placing it into the paper bag it had been in and sealing it.

I really wanted to do something different for the mayo. I wanted to use our sriracha instead of anything chipotle. I'm thinking peach or apricot would taste just as yummy, but I went with strawberry preserves for the sweet balance. It was simple and quick and there isn't really much measuring (although I can estimate) because I added based off personal taste. So, the recipe is going to be a rough idea of amounts, but you can alter it to your own wants. My fiance and I like spicy, but my mom likes more sweet.

Sweet and Spicy Mayo-

2/3 cup of mayo (I used Publix brand)
About 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of Sriracha
About 1/3 cup of Strawberry Preserves (Smuckers Brand)

I started with the mayo (still in the jar and put in about a tbsp of sriracha and 2 tbsp of the preserves. Mixed it up and let everyone taste it...but it still had too much of a mayo taste. So I continued to add and mix until it came out sweet with enough of a kick to give you the sniffles! :)






If you try it out...what would you change? Did you make it more sweet or spicy? A different type of preserves? If so, which kind and how did it taste? I really think next time I want to try peach or apricot. I feel like it will have a good balance with the sriracha. :) I really am a big fan of sriracha. I like chipotle, but it is always fun to try new combinations! Enjoy!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment