Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hurricanes Beat Florida~ Tailgating at 9am, Mimosas and Pancake Bites

The Miami Hurricanes played the Florida Gators on Saturday and WON! It was one of the most awesome moments since they started playing at Sun Life Stadium! It is Wednesday and my voice is still not 100% back, which also has to do with working the last three days. But it was all worth it!

Of course though, there is always a downside and the EXTREME humidity and packed stadium definitely got stressful at moments. Plus the early start time of noon was killer since we live about an hour North of the stadium. I really did not want anything along the lines of lunch type food. I am one of those weirdos that can eat breakfast food at ANY time of the day, but must have breakfast like food (eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, etc) BEFORE I can eat foods more commonly eaten at lunch or dinner. Like, I ABSOLUTELY cannot eat a cheeseburger for breakfast. It does not work for me. :)


On that note, I decided that my pancake bites would be PERFECT for this game. Along with these, I made a breakfast quesadilla (no pictures because I was pressed for time at this point), sausage links, strawberries and bananas with a homemade fruit dip and Mimosas.

There are many different ways to make these, and my way of doing it is an adaptation to Pancake Muffins by theworldaccordingtoeggface. I like my pancakes plain which is why I do not choose to add toppings, although one of these times I might give in and try adding chocolate chips or bacon. I actually prefer pancake batter made from scratch, but in wanting to get these done quickly, I used pancake mix.



I used Aunt Jemima's Original Pancake Mix and followed the instructions for a batch of pancakes. I was not in the mood to do conversions for making the whole box at once, so what I did was make a single batch and while it was baking, I made the next batch. I was able to make from the small size box, 12 mini muffins and 18 regular sized muffins. The best thing is they don't harden so you can pack them up and eat them for days after. If you want them warm, they can be reheated in the microwave with no problem.

Recipes-

Pancake Muffins aka Pancake Bites (can use whatever type of pancake mix you like, including homemade)

-pancake batter (in this case I used Aunt Jemima)
-one non stick muffin pan, mini or regular
-Aunt Jemima syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. After I made the pancake batter according to the instructions (one egg, 1tbsp of oil, 3/4 cup of milk and 1 cup of the mix), I added about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Aunt Jemima Syrup. It makes the bites taste sweeter and also a tad like maple. Definitely spray the pan with Pam OR use cupcake wrappers. You divide the batter into the pan and bake for about 12-15 minutes. I like to look for a golden brown-ish color and I also take a toothpick to make sure it is cooked all the way through. After letting them cool for about 5 minutes, I popped them out and put them in Tupperware.




Homemade fruit dip-

-Jar of favorite jelly/preserves (I used Strawberry)
-Cream Cheese
-Cinnamon

This recipe is great because you can use what you have and what you like. I love strawberry jam so I used that but you could probably switch it out with grape or cherry or raspberry, but you might have to change the type of fruit or items for dipping to better compliment the dip. I took about 16oz cream cheese and let it soften. I then took about a 1/2 cup of the strawberry jam and mixed it in, blending it together. I took a dash of cinnamon for flavor (you could do without if you wanted) and chilled it until we were ready to eat it. We dipped the strawberries and these cinnamon bagel chips my mom had purchased. It was AMAZING! Sweet, but not too sweet.

Breakfast Quesadillas-

-9 eggs
-1/2 cup of onion and green bell peppers (could use more or less or different veggies)
-4 to 5 slices of bacon
-4 large flour tortillas
-3tsp butter
-2/3 cups of cheese (also a preference item)

I usually like to cook my bacon in the pan but for time I cooked it according to the oven instructions that way I could cook the eggs and veggies while the bacon was going. I started with the tsp of butter and coated the skillet. I then took the chopped onion and green bell peppers and placed them in the heated skillet. I waited for those to cook, about 5 minutes and then added the eggs. I cooked the eggs with the veggies and then placed them to the side. After the bacon had finished, I let it cool and chopped it up and mixed it in with the eggs. I then used a new skillet and another tsp of butter and placed the first tortilla in the pan. I poured some of the egg mixture (about 1/2) onto the tortilla and sprinkled about 1/2 the cheese on top and covered it with another tortilla. I used a spatula to press down the tortilla to help seal it and after about 4 minutes flipped the quesadilla. I use the plate method (I take a plate and place it on top of the skillet and flip it that way. I then placed the quesadilla back into the skillet and pressed it down again and allowed it to cook another few minutes. I removed the quesadilla and placed it on a cutting board and let it cool while I repeated the process for the second one. After the second one was completed and the first had cooled, I used a pizza cutter to cut the quesadilla into 8 pieces and repeated with the second once it had cooled. I placed the 16 pieces into Tupperware and brought salsa and sour cream for dipping. These got RAVE reviews. I was even told to make more! Next time I WILL take pictures!!

Hope you enjoyed!






No comments:

Post a Comment